$49,420.80 – $73,840.00 Annually
PARKS & RECREATION (520)
- The City of Fayetteville is committed to attracting, engaging and rewarding a multi-generational workforce. By offering a total rewards package including competitive compensation and benefits plans and a purposeful work life, the City is an employer of choice focused on serving our community.
Safety/Security Sensitive Designation:
This is a safety/security sensitive position for purposes of the Arkansas Medical Marijuana Amendment.
- Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of their own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
- Interview, hire, train, and evaluate employees of the recreation division; plan, assign, and delegate projects and tasks; reward and discipline employees; address complaints and solve problems related to employees; perform all other personnel supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the City’s policies and applicable laws.
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate programs. Provide customer service, manage facilities, and represent the City in all programs and special events as assigned. Establish short and long-term goals for programs along with conducting annual evaluations and surveys.
- Register teams for league play and/or individuals for programs, schedule practices/sessions, and handle communication between Parks and Recreation and participants, parents, and coaches/volunteers.
- Setup and maintain online field and facility reservations using recreation management software.
- Recruit, train, schedule, and appraise the performance of thirty or more contract laborers including sports officials and other services required in sports programming.
- Promote all recreation programs and create and implement strategic marketing plans that include designing registration materials, updating website content, responsibly using social media, organizing publicity, and coordinating all other forms of public outreach for assigned programs.
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in the oversight of program budgets. Comply with all City policies and procedures as they relate to p-card use, contract services payment, and general purchasing.
- Solicit sponsorships, grants, donations, and other in-kind services as needed for the organization and implementation of recreation programs and special events.
- Supervise evening and weekend games, tournaments, clinics and special events.
- Collaborate with supervisor and other staff to propose budgets for programs. Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in the management of more than $100,000 in program budgets.
- Work with Park Maintenance and/or Facilities Maintenance staff to ensure facilities are adequately prepared, maintained, suitable, and safe for internal and external program and event use.
- Assist other Recreation Program Managers and Yvonne Richardson Community Center staff in special event and program organization, facility operation, and supervision as needed. This includes evenings, weekends, and scheduled on-call periods as needed.
- Serve as a liaison between Parks and Recreation and tournament directors, event directors, and facility renters.
- Support in the administration of the Parks and Recreation and/or Yvonne Richardson Community Center office such as directing general park inquiries to the appropriate staff members and providing front desk assistance to customers with registration, reservations, and other needs.
- Accurately maintain own timesheet, part-time and/or seasonal staff timesheets, and follow proper City payroll procedures for bi-weekly approval and submittal of hours worked.
- Exercise sound judgement and decision making as it relates to enforcement of Park Ordinances, inclement weather, emergency situations, and risk management for programs, events, and facilities.
- Represent the City in a positive manner, particularly while on site at events and work to resolve citizen issues and concerns at those events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL DUTIES BASED ON ASSIGNMENT
- Strategically plan, implement and evaluate adult softball program. Establish short and long-term goals for adult softball.
- Recruit, train, schedule and appraise the performance of thirty or more contract laborers required in adult softball.
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate an adult kickball program.
- Recruit, train, schedule and appraise the performance of thirty or more contract laborers required in adult kickball.
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate a youth softball program.
- Recruit, train, schedule and appraise the performance of contract service providers and volunteers including sports officials and other services required in youth softball.
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate an adult volleyball program.
- Recruit, train, schedule and appraise the performance of contract service providers such as sports officials required in adult volleyball.
Youth Summer Camps
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate a youth summer camp program.
- Recruit, interview, train, hire and evaluate seasonal camp counselors. This includes working in conjunction with Human Resources to ensure all hiring policies are followed correctly.
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate a fall and spring soccer program.
- Recruit, train and schedule a group of referees and instructors for youth soccer programs.
- Recruit, organize and train volunteer coaches each fall and spring youth soccer season.
- Strategically plan, implement and evaluate a summer concert series.
- Responsible for obtaining and securing quality summer concert series bands and a DJ each summer. This includes working in conjunction with City policies to ensure all bands and third-party agencies are set-up and paid accordingly.
- Strategically plan, implement and evaluate the operation of the Wilson Park Pool.
- Recruit, interview, train, hire and evaluate seasonal pool staff. This includes working in conjunction with Human Resources to ensure all hiring policies are followed correctly.
- Must obtain Certified Pool Operator within one year of date of hire.
- Strategically plan, implement and evaluate outdoor recreation programs including but not limited to biking, hiking, paddling, and camping.
- Recruit, interview, train, hire and evaluate seasonal Recreation Program Assistants. This includes working in conjunction with Human Resources to ensure all hiring policies are followed correctly.
Yvonne Richardson Community Center
- Strategically plan, implement, and evaluate a youth afterschool program, summer camp program, and physical education program for homeschooled youth.
- Recruit, train, and schedule seasonal summer camp staff. This includes working in conjunction with Human Resources to ensure all hiring policies are followed.
- Recruit, organize, and mentor a number of student interns each semester as needed.
- Monitor the day-to-day operations of YRCC programs and facility rentals including collecting facility usage data, handling and resolving patron complaints and ensuring that all programs are adequately supplied.
- Secondary Job Duties
- Secondary duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Parks and Recreation, Sports Management, Kinesiology, K-12 Education or related field from a college or university with no experience required or high school diploma and four years of related experience in parks and recreation, or sports management or youth enrichment/education.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be able to obtain CPR and First Aid certification within the time frame determined by management.
- Must be willing to become a Certified Pool Operator or Aquatic Facilities Operator.
- Must successfully pass criminal background check for felonies, theft offenses and or any conviction, no contest or guilty plea that would qualify to prevent a person from obtaining an Arkansas teaching certificate, including A.C.A. 6-17-410.
- Regular evening, weekend, and on-call program/event supervision is expected and required.
- Ability to officiate sports games and/or facilitate recreational activities.
- Effectively communicate with others orally and in writing.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer utilizing word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications and other job-related software programs. Must be able to effectively operate standard office equipment and two-way radio.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to work evening, weekend, and on-call for program and special event implementation and supervision