JOB OBJECTIVE: To provide essential and non-essential information or major news to the public in a timely and reliable fashion. The PIO is the liaison between the City of Sherwood and the public.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes awareness of the City of Sherwood in the state of Arkansas and the surrounding region by developing and disseminating information to the public regarding City activities and services.
- Serves as a facilitator to Mayor to respond to media inquiries; provides information to the news media regarding specific City activities; coordinates and schedules media appearances and interviews for City personnel. Coordinate’s media inquiries to develop official response. Prepares talk points and varied communications materials as required by Mayor. Works closely with Mayor on highly sensitive, complex, or emergency situations.
- Writes press releases and other marketing materials as directed by Mayor. Provides direct and proactive advice, consultation, and assistance to Mayor, as well as Department Directors regarding public information matters, to include providing direct assistance in researching, providing information, and developing messages and marketing materials.
- Plans and disseminates internal and external communication of information through various media that is designed to keep public informed of City programs, accomplishments, or points of view.
- Writes, edits, reviews, and assures appropriate distribution of communication/public relations materials that have a City-wide impact including news releases, articles, speeches, online information services and broadcast scripts; may oversee production and publication of communication/public relations materials and related communications.
- Maintains City website to include monitoring website to identify and resolve performance problems, posting information submitted by City Departments, and ensuring information is accurate, complete, and current.
- Develops strategies to expand the City’s social media presence with regular updates on various social media sites; monitors social media traffic and responds to posts and inquiries from the public relating to City activities, events, programs, and related information.
- Works closely with Sherwood Advertising & Promotions Commission to successfully manage A & P event advertising and marketing efforts.
- Designs and produces or assists outside agencies with the design and production of advertisements, communication materials, including brochures, flyers, press releases, information pamphlets, media announcements, public presentation materials, and other promotional/public information materials to inform the public of City activities; ensures distribution of produced materials.
- Provides information and answers inquiries from the public submitted by mail, email, website, and social media channels as authorized by Mayor.
- Develops, organizes, and manages the production of the City of Sherwood’s Community Calendar.
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements and preferences listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and/or preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Broad knowledge of such fields as marketing, public relations, communication, etc. These skills and abilities are usually, although not always, acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or a related field; and three (3) years of experience in a Marketing/PR/Communications role as a professional staff member. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Advanced: Desktop Publishing, Videography, social media, Print & Digital Media Production, Media Relations, Word Processing, Spreadsheets
- Community recreation programs and organizations. The methods and techniques of program planning and objectives of public recreation. Municipal finance, budgeting, and control
- Produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar. Comprehend and make inferences from written materials. Effectively interpret departmental policies to employees and the public
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with City departmental employees, and the public
- Requires occasionally working evenings and weekends
- Ability to effectively communicate on a one-on-one basis with others
- Ability to maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with other employees, department officials and the public
- Ability to report to work each scheduled day, and on time