Education:Four Year Degree
Arkansas DL Required:Yes
The City of Conway, a vibrant and progressive community located in central Arkansas, 30 miles northwest of the state capital of Little Rock, is accepting resumes for a Parks & Recreation Director. Conway, with an estimated population of over 65,000, is home to three universities: the University of Central Arkansas, Hendrix College, and Central Baptist College. Conway is a rapidly growing community that has more than doubled in population since 1990, seeing growth in residential, retail, technology, medical and manufacturing sectors. Conway offers a dynamic quality of life with a lively downtown, quality schools, and exceptional recreational opportunities.
Conway is the northwestern entrance into the Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway metro region as well as the gateway into the recreational opportunities of the Arkansas River Valley and the Southern Ozark Mountains.
The Parks & Recreation Director, reporting directly to the mayor, is responsible for twenty (20) City parks and multi-use trails including over 750 acres of park land. The director manages a staff of over seventy (70) employees; fifty (50) full time and fifteen (15) part time employees to provide leisure and recreational opportunities for the benefit of our citizens. This is achieved by providing quality parks and recreational facilities as well as creating tourism opportunities which benefit both our citizens and our local businesses. The city seeks a proactive leader who is a superior communicator committed in inclusion and diversity. Responsibilities include advising the Mayor, City Council, other City departments and the public regarding Parks and Recreation issues.
- Experience and knowledge in park planning, facility design and construction, landscape maintenance, capital project management, recreation programs, and municipal finance procedures.
- Experience with applying the principles and practices of public parks and recreation management and administration, including knowledge of facility, equipment, and staffing needs.
- Demonstrated success analyzing and reviewing the parks and building facility needs of a community and coordinating, planning for, and managing the efficient delivery of high-quality parks and recreation services
- Proven track record in managing people and building relationships with community stakeholders.
- Proficiency in delivering recreation services to a diverse population and in optimizing participation.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of parks and recreation administration.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships and good communication with a variety of individuals; and demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and patience.
- Thorough knowledge of the funding process in a governmental environment as related to budgeting, cost accounting, fiscal planning, and management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in parks and recreation, public administration, business administration, or a related field; or a bachelor’s degree in one of those fields and four to ten years related experience and/or training. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
January 13, 2023