Department: Parks and Recreation
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
FLSA status: Hourly (Non-Exempt)
Salary: $9.25 – 15.85 D.O.E.
Deadline to Apply: Open to filled
Performs a variety of parks maintenance tasks that include mowing, weed eating, cleaning and maintaining equipment, tree trimming, cleaning out ditches and storm drains and picking up litter. Maintaining restrooms, playgrounds, walking trails and other duties as assigned. This position will report to the Maintenance Supervisor and will be responsible for adhering to maintenance and safety standards that strengthen the community image and sense of place in all City Parks. The Parks Maintenance Worker will possess a strong orientation towards customer service, a stewardship attitude toward resource management, and will be committed to professional development in parks maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Turf management such as mowing, aerating, fertilizing, top dressing, edging and weed spraying.
• Maintains irrigations systems.
• Maintains athletic activity areas (dragging, prepping), maintain fences, benches, drinking fountains, sidewalks, restrooms and general repairs.
• Maintains parks by blowing, litter pick-up, painting, removing graffiti and power washing facilities.
• Maintains and repairs playground equipment.
• Performs equipment and vehicle inspections.
• Cleans and remove litter from parks, parking lots, and other public areas.
• Operates a variety of light and heavy-duty equipment.
• Inspect and repair various parks and recreation facilities (basketball and tennis courts).
• Opens and locks public facilities as directed.
• Set up for sporting events, community-wide special events.
• Responsible for upholding Cabot Parks and Recreation policies and procedures, as well as ordinances set forth by the City of Cabot.
• Ability to understand, follow, and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work unsupervised.
• Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting relationships, works assignments, and work schedules may be subject to change in order to meet Department needs or operational requirements. Attendance at work and the ability to get along with public, commission, supervisors, and co-workers are essential elements of this position.
Occasionally supervise a small crew of part-time employees.
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED. Minimum of one (1) year experience in grounds, landscape and facility maintenance. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Position may occasionally require working on evenings, weekends, some holidays and special events.
Experience and knowledge in parks and recreation maintenance preferred.
Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, clients, general public and other employees of the organization. Ability to effectively present information to management and/or commission members.
Ability to effectively communicate in writing.
Ability to define problems, collect information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to act in an emergency.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to handle, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Sufficient vision; depth perception; and ability to adjust focus. Requires clarity of speech and hearing in order for the employee to communicate effectively. Will be required to drive a parks and recreation motor vehicle.
While performing the functions of the job, the employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions, wet or humid conditions, extreme heat and/or cold.